March 30, 2011

Crickets Chirping...

That's all I hear whenever I post here.

I was hoping that this blog would become more interactive, with comments and discussions.  However, it seems I am the only one interested.  That needs to change.

So, since no one else threw any topics into the mix...  I will.
Photography.
Discuss...

People who know me in real life, know that I am super crazy when it comes to taking photos.  I love them!  I love to look back at them and see all the fun things I've done with my wonderful friends and family.  I am of the opinion that if it isn't documented by a photograph, then the event didn't happen!  I need to get better about printing them off to put into photo books, because then I wouldn't have to sit at a computer to do my reminiscing.

Now, while I have a good eye and can take a good photo (if I do say so myself), I am always looking for tips on how to improve my shot to make them great photos.  I want to learn how to take the camera off auto and figure out those manual settings.  I have purchased a library's worth of photography instruction manuals, and it always makes me so frustrated that they start out with a chapter on "basics".  And by basic, I mean BASIC.  They always include a photo of a labeled digital camera, pointing out that this is in fact, a digital camera.  Then they point out the shutter release button, the viewfinder screen, and power button.  These are advanced photography books that treat their readers as if they are either stupid, or have never laid eyes on a camera before.  

However, I have finally found a book that actually gives great tips, like how to hold the camera in a way that will keep it steady (without a tripod) and will avoid muscle fatigue.


LIFE Guide to Digital Photography: Everything You Need to Shoot Like the Pros

by:  Joe McNally

If you are interested in photography, I recommend this book.  The author, Joe McNally discusses his career as a photographer for Life magazine, and includes a lot of advice and tips he learned along the way.   He also has a great explanation for f-stops and apertures.

So, now the interactive part...
Do any of you have a favorite photography book that has helped them improve their skills?  
What are your favorite things to photograph?  
Do you prefer posed shots or candids?
Discuss...  (please...)


p.s.  I am still posting regularly to my Super Secret Blog, the life and times of the Two Cents Family.  If you would like an invite, send me a comment with your email address in it.

4 comments:

Kaitlan said...

Where did you find this book? it sounds like it's a great resource!

Umm... even if it's just you and I, I will throw my two cents in. My absolute favorite things to photograph are flowers! Endlessly flowers! I feel its about the only thing I'm good at!

And, since I'm asking... how do you take a good candid. I'm horrible at finding a good 'spot' to shoot. I try, but don't always know what to look for!

Do you have any information about f-stops??!

(good luck by the way!)

Mrs. Two Cents said...

Hooray for comments!!!

I found the book on Amazon. (It was a Christmas gift from your parents.) You can borrow it if you'd like.

F/stops refer to the size of the aperture opening. The aperture controls how much light is allowed into the camera. Higher numbers on an f/stop = small hole, which you would use in a bright light situation. Smaller numbers = big hole and are used in low light situations. I'm still a little confused how ISO and shutter speed all factor together with f/stops... maybe some day, right?

I love your floral shots! You take such good photos of flowers. I think I will discuss my candid methods in a future post!

Thanks for the comment! Happy picture taking!

kml said...

I like taking macro photos. I have one that was kind of an accident, but it is the one that I like the most. It's got good texture, light and focus.

Mrs. Two Cents said...

KL, you take the best macro shots! You need to take some more so we can get them framed and have some decor in our new place.