April 6, 2011

Candid Cameras...

Recently, I received a comment asking how I shoot candid photos.  They are my favorite type of photos to shoot.  Well, and landscapes too. 

***Disclaimer:  I am not a professional photographer, my background is in art.  These are just a few basic things I think about when I am composing a photo.  (or painting...)***

Take a lot of photos.  I think the key to taking a good candid shot is to simply take a ton of photos!  With a digital camera you are only limited by the life of your battery and space on your memory card.  Out of fifty shots, then one or two are bound to turn out good, right?  If I'm lucky and the stars all align for me, then maybe five or six will.  One thing I've learned is that the more pictures I take, the better I am becoming at taking them.

Don't be afraid to take a lot of photos.  Another obstacle for taking a good candid shot is in capturing that 'slice of life' feeling.  I don't like 'posed' shots.  They feel too formal and stiff to me.  I've found that if you only have your camera out for a few minutes, people get all nervous about having their picture taken and turn away or they fake a smile, and the candid 'slice of life' moment is ruined.  But, if you have your camera out for an hour or so, and are constantly taking pictures, then people begin to relax and you can get those natural smiles photographed.  So, again, take a lot of photos!  It also helps to have a good zoom...

Move around and try different angles.  I always try to move around and vary my point of view as I'm taking photos.  That is one way to find a great angle.  I find that sometimes, shooting from another side is all that is needed to make the composition more interesting.  When I'm photographing my little girl, I'll sit or lay on the floor to get down to her level.  However, sometimes it's fun to stand on chair to get a 'view from the top' as she plays with her toys.   Again, I just take a ton of photos, varying the angles and hoping that one turns out.

Fill the frame with your subject.  I like to zoom in close and fill the entire frame with my subject.  A lot of unnecessary background can be eliminated this way, and your subject gets star treatment.  A wise instructor advised my fellow art students and I to never be afraid of zooming in on your subject matter.  It worked for Georgia O'Keeffe.  (although she was a painter...)   

Take the time to think about your composition.  Due to my art school training, I don't even think about compositional elements anymore when I'm taking a photo.  It just starts to come naturally the more you study it.  A good rule is to think in terms of thirds.  Most digital cameras have a grid you can turn on in the viewfinder.  (Or you can just do it in your head).  The grid will divide the frame into thirds both horizontally and vertically, creating nine rectangles.  Most people focus their camera on the middle rectangle, the very center of the frame.  And while they might take a beautiful image, it will most likely be pretty boring.  If you shift the focus off-center to one of the grid lines, that creates some drama and interest.  I like to set my focus on the spot where two grid lines cross.  This rule works really well for shooting landscapes.

Get the Lighting right.  Nothing ruins a good photo of Uncle Joe and Aunt Betty like their eyes squinting in the bright sunlight.  Try to avoid taking photos in full sun.  The harsh light makes for harsh photos.  An overcast day is best for taking daytime outdoor photos.   If possible, try to plan outdoor photo shoots for 'the golden hours' of just after sunrise and just before sunset.  Those are the only times of day when you'll have the the most glorious golden light to work with.  When you're indoors, use the indirect light coming in from a window to light your subject.


And so...  to sum it all up...  don't be afraid to take a lot of photos.  The more you take, the more you'll improve!  Happy Picture Taking!

Any other subjects you'd like to discuss?

4 comments:

Kaitlan said...

Ok, so say I'm at a wedding shooting, how do you take good close up shots, without being the center of attention. Personally, that is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves, the people who jump into shot that would have been pristine, because they wanted to get the good shot!

I guess I'm asking, how do you be the 'professional' and still stay out of the way for everyone else?

Lenses?

Mrs. Two Cents said...

Taking photos in a large crowd can be tough! My opinion is that the 'official' wedding photographer (who the bride and groom are most likely paying) gets to move around where ever they need to be and in front of whomever they need too, in order to get the good shots. You don't need to apologize for doing your job and documenting the day. Tell them to get out of your way!

If it's some random guest who's ruining your shot, you have three options: 1. move to a different angle, either to the side of the annoying one, or kneel down in front of them. Maybe finding a different angle will make the frame more interesting. 2. wait for the annoyer to take their shot and move on, chances are you'll get another opportunity with your subject if you're patient. 3. Simply say 'hey, do you mind?' and hold your camera up, to let them know they are in your way. I think that's a pretty tactful way of handling it.

I know nothing of lenses... absolutely nothing.

Kaitlan said...

This is unrelated to photo's... but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Literature, what is your favorite genre of books?

haha..it's a form of art right?

Mrs. Two Cents said...

oooohhh... good question for my next post!